Twelve Nineteen

This one’s actually been sitting on my computer for a month or so now — I just haven’t been able to render it to wave, because my system just wasn’t fast enough. Today, though, I got a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and everything just purrs along, barely touching the processor. Very Happy

Anyway, about the music itself. This piece is basically me having fun with Kontakt — each of the eight instruments has fairly complex insert effect chains, a couple of send effects, and a couple of modulated group inserts, too. Smile Basically, lots of effects, for some nice sound degradation.

Because I’m still not a fan of OpenMPT’s automation handling, I managed to find a nice little workaround, that I used on a couple of instruments: I modulate various effects using the MIDI volume. This means that working with the modulation is much more immediate, and it also means that I can modulate a couple of different effects simultaneously completely independently.

The piece is, hopefully, quite fun to listen to — it was definitely fun to write. Let me know what you think!

Comments transferred from Trax In Space and Modplug Central.

7 thoughts on “Twelve Nineteen

1. Nahkranoth says:

Oh my gawd! Cheese pours from everywhere 😀 Sounds like some classic tracker tune remade in a modern way, I like it! …ahh, the fun ends too quickly, it only 2 mins long 🙁
    Seems that you’ve got your favourite chords, or chord progressions, or whatever, because I’ve got this thought in the middle of your track:
    “Jeez, even without knowing the author you can guess it’s Barry” LOL
    Well, not absolutely sure, but you know what I mean 😀

Quote: “I just haven’t been able to render it to wave, because my system just wasn’t fast enough.”

You mean “in realtime”? I thought you can render to wave on nearly every average machine, no matter how complex your project is Shocked

2. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

Thanks for the feedback, Nahkranoth! 😀 I guess I have got a bit of a ‘signature’ EDM style. Razz

Yeah, I have to render all of my stuff in realtime, because of a bug which occurs with OpenMPT + Kontakt. :/ Although to be honest, I think that it might be mostly solved now that I’ve upgraded — I’ll have to test, though.

3. Harbinger says:

Notes as i’m listening:

Noticeably chiptuney, but still ornate enough for consideration as EDM. Way too short. Just like my review… 😉

4. Clones says:

certainly very aggressive for you.

(unless my ears are not working right tonight :))

5. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

Harbinger wrote: “Way too short.”

Yeah, I know. :)It’s this short because of my earlier hardware limitations: at around this length, the entire computer would grind to a halt, with nasty ear-hurting artifacts. :/ Maybe I’ll do an ‘extended mix’ one of these days.

uncloned wrote: “certainly very aggressive for you. … The tuned buried in the distortion and minor mode is still bouncy and happy somehow. That is an accomplishment! It sounds like a tune from a Disney animation movie with ghosts jamming.”

Thanks! I assume that that’s a positive thing… 😀 Maybe the bouncy happiness is helped by the fact that I swung the semiquavers — when I first started, it was all straight, and, to be honest, a bit bland. I think the swing lifts it a bit. 🙂

Thanks for your feedback, Harbinger and Clones! 🙂

6. Sam_Zen says:

Yeah, Barry, this is very nice ! As usual a very good arrangement and production.
    And one can indeed hear that you had your fun making it.