Geany IDE: Tango dark colour scheme

Now on GitHub

I’ve decided to host this theme on GitHub, in the hopes that it will be easier for people to contribute, modify, and extend it. Head over to the GitHub page to download and/or fork the theme!

Recent changes

• Added in batisteo’s python filetype — much appreciated!
  • I’ve updated the scheme slightly, to better support CSS3 functionality, JavaScript highlighting, and more languages. The list of supported languages below has been updated.

Geany is a lightweight IDE for Linux and Windows, and it’s quickly become my favourite, even going so far as to supplant VIM in many of my day-to-day tasks. I’ve started putting together a dark Tango-based theme for the Geany IDE. So far, the coloured filetypes include:

• C
  • C++
  • CSS
  • HTML
  • Java
  • Javascript
  • PHP
  • SGML
  • Shell scripts
  • XHTML

The colours are loosely based on the Dark Geany project.

Get it from GitHub! (Or download the original package, which is probably out of date.)

Geany dark Tango colour scheme screenshot

49 thoughts on “Geany IDE: Tango dark colour scheme

1. Anonymous says:

What about a screenshot? Would be nice to see if it is worth installing πŸ™‚ Thanks!

2. Chrelad says:

I like the GTK theme you are using as well, would you mind letting us know what GTK theme you have and where we can find it?

Thanks Barry,

Chrelad

3. Chrelad says:

Thanks Barry,

Great theme and thanks for letting us know which GTK theme you are using!

Chrelad

4. baco says:

What about the most common languages, say C, C++, C#, Java, Python?

1. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

I have a Java set that I use at work — hopefully, I’ll get some of the other languages done soon. πŸ™‚ I tend to do the languages as I need them.

5. dRoope says:

Big fan of this color scheme πŸ™‚

Really good, i’ve been using it since January, if i am not somehow confused. (Perhaps I am :P)

Cheers!
    Droope

6. Daniel says:

It seems that the PHP files are missing ?
    root@clusterfucker:~/tmp/geany-darkTango# unzip geany-darkTango.zip
    Archive: geany-darkTango.zip
    inflating: filetypes.css
    inflating: filetypes.javascript
    inflating: filetypes.xml
    inflating: filetypes.common
    root@clusterfucker:~/tmp/geany-darkTango#

7. Josue Rodriguez says:

Hey Barry,

Any chance you can update the colour scheme with the PHP file? i’d really like to get the same colors as in your screenshot.

Thanks.

1. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

Hi Daniel, Josue,

I’ll try and get the PHP file done and uploaded at work today. There are a few tweaks I’ve made to the CSS highlighting which I’ve been meaning to upload for a while, too.

8. Manuel Cameselle says:

Great schemes!

The only thing i dislike is the default ‘current_line’ color. I suggest to create ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.common with the lines:

[styling]
    default=0xeeeeec;0x2e3436;false;false
    current_line=0x0;0x565a5b;true;false

This will apply to all schemes.

I’ve also done the freebasic scheme based on yours. Email me if you want it.

9. greg says:

hey barry,
    what font are you using in the above screenshot?
    thanks,
    greg

10. avery guild says:

Is there any thought to adding fortran 90 and python?

11. Jeff says:

Is anyone else having an issue with the theme not working with .cpp files in Geany 0.19.1?? I have noticed the same issue with the dark theme but both themes work correctly with .java files its strange.

12. nate says:

How do you activate this theme in geany once downloaded? I saved it in ~/.config/geany/filedefs but nothing happens.

13. Pockata says:

Hey, nice theme, but can you change the color of the highlighted row ? It’s really hard to look at. It’s so bright white on top of this dark theme. Awaytng your response πŸ™‚

1. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

@Guy: Unfortunately, I tend to spend most of my time in Komodo nowadays, but I’ll see if I can get a chance to update the theme with Python support soon. Glad you like it!

14. pockata says:

@Barry: i’ve messed up something during the install or something like that. When i upgraded to 19.1 it was all ok πŸ™‚

15. H3g3m0n says:

I’m also getting the bright highlighting in C++ with the version from git on Geany 0.19.1. I ended up copying a filetypes.common from the Oblivion2 theme in there which helped.

16. Yury says:

This color scheme is just incredible. Sometimes I stop the coding and just admiring this beautiful colors πŸ˜€

17. kilo says:

Very nice dark scheme!
    I’ve added Manuel’s current line styling though, that makes it perfect.
    Thanks!

18. Fighter2 says:

It would have been so nice if yours supported Perl as well.

19. Michel Samia says:

Thank you for the scheme, my c++ sources look more leadable now πŸ™‚

1. Barry van Oudtshoorn says:

Hi Γ‰der,

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if it’s possible to alter the colour of the cursor. However, I have just merged a pull request on GitHub that aims to improve the current line colour — maybe that will help to make things a bit easier!

20. Ivy says:

I love the color scheme a lot. It would be nice to have color scheme for Fortran. Thanks

21. Bastien says:

I don’t know how to activate this theme once downloaded. I saved it in ~/.config/geany/filedefs but nothing happens (I have restart geany many times)

22. Tom says:

Beautiful theme, Barry… thank you! One problem that I can’t seem to fix is with variables in shell scripts like $TEST. They are black against the dark grey background and very difficult to read. I haven’t been able to find the magic line for changing it and would greatly appreciate a suggestion.

23. Lord Cold says:

Hi everyone.

How do I install this colour scheme? I’m just trying Geany and I don’t know how to.

Thanks.

24. Tom says:

Hi Barry,

Appreciate your quick response to my question last month and apologies for my late thank you! πŸ™‚ I’m running 1.21 and my old Fedora 15 desktop reached it’s end of life last Summer so there’s no easy upgrade available. I did install the complete codebrainz collection for 1.21 and modified the theme so it looks good with shell scripts. Found out that View->Editor->Color Schemes was available in my older version which made experimenting a lot easier.

Thanks again!

-Tom

25. Bas Snabilie says:

@Lord Cold
    Copy the files from the folder ‘filetypes’ into ~/.config/geany/filedefs/ and the .conf file in ~/.config/geany/colorschemes/. In geany select the color scheme in View->Editor->Color Schemes

26. Random User says:

Thanks a lot for this, however you lack to explain how to install it anywhere. Not even in the readme file. Finally I just dropped all the stuff extracted into .config/geany/colorschemes. Geany complained a bit when restarted but after changing the color scheme in view-editor-color schemes it worked alright πŸ™‚